The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

ARMORsWARmS part 2 of 3

To recap: This is the second in a series of sketches where I took designs of Marvel Comics' The Beetle (aka Abe Jenkins aka MACH I-V) and adapted them to take after various beetles. Different beetles means different powers. These are not in any kind of logical order. I'm just posting them in the order they appear in my sketch book.
On the LEFT
The rove beetle can shoot it's jaw making it the perfect candidate for becoming Beetle armor. This was one of the last drawings to be finished, so my approach was to take what I learned from the others and base the design on the insect itself. He would be a mid to close range fighter so I put spinning blades on his forearms. I've also made a little doodle of what the jaw launched would look like. I would probably redesign it to be something more disturbing.

On the RIGHT
The hercules beetle is a weird creature. The horn on the head and collar make a claw to help it wrestle opponents. Hercules in mythology and Marvel comics is a great wrestler, which I kept in mind for this design. The head and collar claw is modeled after the animal and I made the face minimalistic with Spider-man shaped eyes. I wanted to make this armor stronger than the others but without just drawing the character bigger than the others or bulkier. What I decided on was adding two insectile legs. The wearer can use these arms to help manipulate someone caught in the head claw or to hook into the back of the gauntlets to make punches more devastating. Instead of antenni I gave this costume two energy blasters that aim up at whoever is caught in the claw.
 On the LEFT
The whirligig is an aquatic beetle. It has an unusual shape so I tried to capture that to the design. They eyes are based on goggles worn in the first version of The Beetle's armor. Also the first version of Jenkins armor had these weird tentacle fingers gauntlets that I slapped on there. I figured if anyone needed to be able to stick to things it would be this guy.

On the RIGHT
I believe this Beetle design comes from the golden tortoise back beetle. I took a different approach on this one. I thought the shape of the animal resembled Captain America's shield, so I incorporated flavors of Cap along with Beetle motifs. The two antenna are placed like an insects but I rendered them off of the antenna off of Jenkin's MACH II armor.

No comments:

Post a Comment