The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Under Batman:Under the Red Hood

Movie Review
Title: Batman: Under The Red Hood
Creator(s): Judd Winnick and a bunch others http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Under_the_Red_Hood

Art

The art throughout the movie is beautifully colored and drawn. 3D affects are integrated well ranging from barely noticeable to seamlessly integrated.
The title sequence art is even better. I would actually prefer the whole movie to be in the style of the title sequence. Though I feel this way about almost every animated movie that has come out recently. Yeah it would make the movies more static, but I don't know, I'd appreciate the 75 minute eyegasm

Writing

Judd Winnick was one of my favorite writers before going over to DC. I would have followed him over but I'm broke. And Winnick not only wrote the movie but the source material "Under The Hood" which sounds a little like a comic about working on the Batmobile.
While I didn't like most of the Joker's lines in the movie (which was only in part because of the writing) one character does shine: The Red Hood. This character is DC's answer to Deadpool. My best argument for this is a big spoiler. But trust me.
The Red Hood is a great villain to Batman especially for a number of reasons. Red Hood balances out Batman's grimness with a dark sense of humor and like any good villain he brings the heroes mission into question. RH's agenda is perhaps a better method than Batman's endless beatings on criminals.

Sound
What stands out is that the voice of the Joker does not work for me at all. I understand the casting. Someone went "The guy who plays Bender would be a great Joker!" It almost sounds like he was going for the Heath Ledger Joker but missing. It's one of the first voices of the movie and I almost turned it off.

Overall
I'm a pretty big Deadpool fan and seeing Winnick write a character so much like the 'merc with a mouth' is a treat for me. Most superhero fans would agree with me. It fits well into continuity of the comics. There are plenty of action sequences (including one with a robot). And the story wraps everything up at the end.
If you are not a comic fan or one of those 'just Batman' people I run into occationally, don't worry. you won't get lost unless you get hung up on who some of the more obscure characters are.

No comments:

Post a Comment