The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Explorers of the Unknown Review and a word about bias

I've been involved with the comics community for a long time. I know a lot of people who make comics. ?
Some are drawing group friends. Online friends. Convention friends. So my reviews are bias to some degree because I know many creators beyond what I learn about them from their work. I normally avoid pointing this out but there is something that must be considered when reviewing Explorers of the Unknown:

You are probably never going to meet anyone more excited about comics than the writer of the series Seth Fronzoli. If you've met Josh Elder he runs a close second for me. This counts for something for me. Maybe it shouldn't when I put on the reviewer hat.

When in the time I hung out with Seth he was a writer skulking around my artist group trying to find an artist to work with. Everyone in the group at the time was writing their own stuff. But he kept showing up, kept networking, kept helping us out when he could. Now he has a collaborator and  a webcomic that has run over 100 pages.

He was tenacious and as far as I know it was never because he expects a big pay off from a movie deal or something (though I'm sure he'd like that). There are delusional people who do that. Seth loves the medium.

Now lets take a look at the product of that love...

Web-Comic Review
Title: Explorers of the Unknown http://www.drunkduck.com/Explorers_Of_the_Unknown/index.php?p=442876
Creator(s): Seth Fronzoli, Shawn Atkins

Art
The art is highly stylized and would be at home at Slave Labor Graphics (though the series does eventually become color). In the beginning there are a few sequences that are a bit hard to read as shapes blend together. The artist takes many anatomical liberties but they do more good than harm.
There are a few panels where the artist splices black and white photographs into the page. The effect works better in some places than others and used infrequently enough to take me out of the story when I come across it so my brain can point out the obvious "Oh he used a photo here for some reason."


Another visual issue is the lettering. I'd like to give it kudos for being different than standard lettering but I can't do that when it is barely readable on some pages. A font size that may be perfectly readable on the printed page can easily become a blurry eyesore on the web.
Later in the series a minimalistic color pallet is very effectively brought in and adds to the graffiti feel of the series.

Writing



Explorers of the unknown is a romp. These are silly adventures in a world of mishmash genres. The writing doesn't get in the way of this. He has brought his, well I don't want use the word spunk... He brought his energy, heart, and playfulness.
The characters and plots are only as developed as they need to be. The nice thing about an ongoing story is that characters are going to develop with every page. The only drawback is that the reader has to trust the writer long enough for the pay off.



Overall
If you are a fan of The Umbrella Academy you will probably enjoy Explorers of the Unknown. Not just because you find the redundant title amusing.


http://www.drunkduck.com/Explorers_Of_the_Unknown/index.php?p=442876

No comments:

Post a Comment