The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Fast talker auctioneer by day legislator by night

I've bit my lip about Billy Long as best I could. You have no idea how hard that was to do. But he isn't running again (allegedly) so I have no qualms with talking smack about him now that a couple articles have come to my attention about him.
The first one is the Joplin Globe's article about Long trying to auction off debt and establish a national auctioneer's day. This shouldn't surprise anyone. Auctioneer Billy Long is a gimmick character the same way Captain Boomerang is a gimick character. Captain Boomerang has boomerang themed weapons, and death traps. Billy Long has auctioneer powers that he uses to fight the villianous debt. The problem is both characters are fictional. Billy Long isn't an intellectually curious man who uses his insight on auctions to solve problems. He just makes shit up that sounds good (or his handlers do). He's marketing himself.
The second article is about Billy Long's closet flip flop. Billy Long voted against the budget to prevent the shut down but then came out in favor of Boehner doing the best he could on it. Sounds like re-election talk to me. If he wasn't running again the smarter thing to do would be to stand up to the tea party to build the party. Take one for the team. But maybe I am giving him too much credit.
Which brings us to exactly why I don't like Billy Long. His campaign slogan was 'fed up', but he really didn't say what he was fed up with- or at least didn't seem to understand how we got there in the first place. In the race between Bush and Gore one commentator asked why he didn't like Bush. The man said Bush wasn't intellectually curious (see it stuck with me). The questioner asked if that mattered.
Looking at myself it is very easy to dismiss me as a style over substance kind of guy. My website is all comic books after all. But it wasn't that I had to use this as a gimmick- it's just the best way I know to break down information. I was doing OpEd comics before I even considered running for Congress ( joking about running for President in 2016).
If Billy Long could use his experience "signing the front of a check" to come up with innovative ideas to fix the problems in Washington trumpeting the fact that he's an auctioneer wouldn't be a gimmick. But spending all his time writing tweets about what a great actor Clint Howard is shows that he hasn't applied that experience to the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment