The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lies, and those lying lie detectors that lie about detecting them

Did you know that the inventor of the polygraph/lie detector was also the creator of Wonder Woman? Did you know the lie detector is also fiction?
For the longest time I would muse that it was odd that polygraph experts weren't driven out of business by better software. I was totally surprised that the reason for this is that lie detectors are bullshit (I should say Bullshit since that is the show that made me aware of this). It is a clever idea for technology that just doesn't work.
There are a several reasons the polygraph doesn't work including: The human body is too complicated, and may give false positives. The human mind is complicated and may be responding to a word in the question, a tangent thought, or something completely unrelated which would result in a false positive. The truth is too complicated and a binary answer isn't appropriate.
In my family we were raised to believe that a man is only as good as his word. I've taken this philosophy to an extreme and nearly driven myself crazy trying to pursue the truth. I know how hard the truth is, but I can not abide a blatant lie.
The lie detector belongs next to the gadgets in kids spy kits, that work well enough as toys but are not actually practical. The only solution I see is if people start suing these reality shows that do polygraph.
These shows reinforce to the American public the false legitimacy of polygraph. Lives have been ruined by these things and someone needs to make these shows fear legal recourse. I don't generally advocate going crazy with the litigious attacks, but people trust Maury and his ilk, and he is providing the only information on the subject that many people have.
And it matters. There are states that still use polygraph in there courts and many businesses ask if applicants are willing to submit to a polygraph. Spy agencies still use them around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment