The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The last Crawl- SOPA

"If you can't say fuck, You can't say 'Fuck the government!'"
-Lenny Bruce

I wrote about SOPA before but I want to put a more personal touch on it. Though the danger has passed for now we're not out of the woods on this issue because there is no reason to believe it is gone for good.

If SOPA is passed then CRAWLERS will be finished.

Crawlers doesn't violate any copyright laws. But because I am drawing inspiration from my experiences playing games LIKE D&D, Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro could have my site shut down. I wouldn't get recourse until after the fact.
Because the host for Crawlers, Comic Fury, allows anyone to upload content of their choosing; Comic Fury could be shut down by SOPA. Original content created with video game sprites and toys are common on sites like Comic Fury. Though they are a legal grey area, if SOPA were passed, Comic Fury could be shut down because of some of the users creating work from the work of others.

If SOPA is passed then my political site could be finished.

In the economics section of my political site I have a parody of the famous Burt Reynolds Playgirl shoot. Clearly this should be protected by Parody law. But what if Hef had a beef with me? He could shut down my site and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it because I can't afford lawyers to navigate through the bureaucracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment