The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Staying on Message

Standing here like a comedian,I repeat what I say, again 
and again and again
until the meaning has become an imitation of itself,
An impression of an original defeats the fucking purpose
but it's looking more and more like the same place that we started.

-Against Me, Holy Shit! 

I've been thinking a lot about "The Message". Which includes a lot of things like: Why does the media make having a varying agenda sound like a good thing when it's the Tea Party, but uses it to dismiss Occupy Wall Street?
In the age of the internet and the 24 hour news cycle it's important to control the message. But there are some inherent dangers of doing that.
When you keep repeating the same line over and over again it does make you seem more consistent but it also makes you more reflexive than thoughtful. When you have a shtick you start to steer questions to your talking point instead of answering them.
This leaves no room for nuance. And lack of nuance leads to lack of compromise . And we're seeing where that gets us because almost everyone in office sticks to script instead of being thoughtful and listening to people.
I am sort of on the opposite side of the spectrum. I'm fueled by creativity. And it creates a problem because if I've said something enough to people in private, I forget to include it when posting online.
I'm hoping with my campaign to move myself towards speaking with a clear consistent message while bringing other polititians closer to being thoughtless talking points droids.




No comments:

Post a Comment