The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Taking advantage of Disaster

After learning of the tornado damage in Joplin, (I was visiting family out of state) I was faced with the question of what to say about it if anything at all. Any kind of statement seemed like exploitation.
Some progressives see this as an opportunity to talk about global warming/climate change. I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do or not when people are still looking for lost family and friends. Would it even serve well as an illustration now?
This morning I have read that Republicans in DC are considering holding funds for disaster relief hostage for other budget cuts.
The issue I will probably push in the next few weeks is changing our definition of National Defense to include infrastructure and disaster relief. This is something I was planning on doing before this happened.
I would also like to caution everyone that it isn't just politicians who will seek to take advantage of disaster relief in Joplin. In previous disasters in Haiti and elsewhere con artists have set up fronts as charities, and I expect the same to happen here as well. Be very careful in who you donate money to in the name of Joplin relief. Also be cautious of new apps you are unfamiliar with promising to help in Joplin. Do your research. Don't be careless with your data/money because you want to help in tornado relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment