The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sister Wives

On my campaign site, http://www.electladendorf.us , I will be changing my gay rights section to a family values position. This is not a change in policy only a change in presentation.
Part of the reason for this is the plight of the Brown family in TLC's Sister Wives. I am not afraid to admit, even as someone running for office, I support the end of these laws that persecute this type of family. I fail to see anything abusive or neglectful happening within the brown home (except maybe welfare fraud). I understand that polygamy laws serve to protect  women and children from tyrannical patriarchs, but that doesn't seem to be who the law is harassing in this case. Honestly it seems like a cop out to me. Instead of writing legislation that would target the abusive behavior it is written broadly to attack alternative life styles. Kody Brown seems to be a caring provider and this show illustrates how the state should keep it's nose out of marrage.
Marriage is not a logical function of government. However enforcing contracts and reconciling disputes fairly is. The only way to get equality to everyone is if we ban state sponsored marriage and only practice civil unions for all as a governing body. If Kody Brown wants to enter into contract with more than one woman that is his business. If he has the women in separate beds or all in one that is also his business (though the latter is more interesting to me).
I will be changing the scope of my platform to include this because we need to looking at these problems in broader strokes on the federal level. Prop 8 failed in part due to Mormon opposition. If we could all see why a separation of church and state is so important we will instead have an LDS/gay alliance for marital freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment