The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Smoking ban X-Prize

A good chunk of my political philosophy is to find compromise. And not the kind Obama is doing- that is called caving. Currently here in Springfield MO there is a push to ban smoking. Part of me loves smoking bans. They instituted a smoking ban in Chicago when I lived there and it worked out really well FOR ME because I could go see a local band without smelling like ass.
But I have a libertarian streak in me that doesn't like the idea of telling business owners what they can do or allow their patrons to do. I am focused on the business owners because I have no interest in protecting what a guy from my home town refers to as "about the only thing you're allowed to do that makes other people smell".
My first idea for a compromise to an outright ban would be to propose a smoking license as an alternative. Businesses would then have a financial incentive to try a non smoking policy (and generate a little revenue). This still seemed a little big brother-y but at least offers another option if the ban is approved.
My new idea would be to create a competition amongst local bars to be smoke free. Through private donations the community could collect a pot of money. All the bars would be competing to see how long they could go smoke free without hurting their business- the business that lasts the longest gets the pot.
The hope would be that a few of the competing bars would get enough new business that it would make up for the smokers that they lose. Yes there would still be bars but it may diversify the market enough to get non-smokers to go out more often and for businesses to innovate to find ways to get people out for something other than a place to smoke.

5 comments:

  1. Im a none smoker but I've been around smokers all my life. My boyfriend,My dad my brother. It does seem alot more men smoke than women maybe more stress. I just think when I go somewhere that is none smoking and its a bar it has a little bit cleaner air. But at the same time I always assume that when I go heading out to a bar there will be smoke vents collecting the smoke so it don't smell as bad in the bar or restraunt.But im betting there are more smokers than none smokers. And if its a restruant most of them have a section where smokers can eat if not they should depending on the restraunt and if they can afford a seperate smoking section. But people who smoke are not a protected class of citizens which being nonsmoker i can understand. I think cigarettes are nasty and they make you smell. But if you choose to smoke that is your own business and if the business doesn't have a smoke vent in it and allows for smoking its going to be really smoky. But anyways im not sure how im going to vote on this on the ballot. The other thing is the banning alcohol in movie theaters Im like another thing that kills tax revenue im sure people sneak it in anyways since its more expensive to buy it at the theaters im sure people have being doing that for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is why I am not concerned about smokers rights only property rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Property rights are huge with this one. Speaking specifically about smoke shops, hookah bars, and other bars. I work in a Springfield music venue and we have some bands and promoters that request that night be non-smoking. We oblige them without even a second guess. When the government tries to take away a businesses right to accommodate or to even serve their clients I see a major issue in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh not only that but this gets me as well. This is copied directly from the ordinance. So it included e-cigs which is water vapor! So annoying.

    N. "Smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, or pipe, or any other lighted or heated tobacco or plant product intended for inhalation, in any manner or in any form. "Smoking" also includes the use of an e-cigarette which creates a vapor, in any manner or in any form, or the use of any oral smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition of smoking in this Article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that is some bull crap vapor is much more pleasant than smoke and shouldn't be discouraged

    ReplyDelete