The blog combining two passions most people could give a rat's ass about.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Evolution of a Comic Artist part 4 (24 hour day challenge)

Today I'm going to look at my attempts at the challenge of drawing 24 pages in 24 hours. Moving to Missouri has put a damper on this but I've been trying to get one going. I've attempted a few variations on the challenge as a way to see how I do under pressure.

2003 from Skokie IL HQ
tarot
The year before the first official 24 hour comic day I did make an attempt. Ideally in a 24 hour comic you create every aspect of the comic within 24 hours including the writing. I woke up at 5:30AM with the idea. Tried to write it at work then start drawing when I got home at 5PM. It isn't surprising that I fell asleep and the comic took 36 hours.
The comic itself holds up well. I used to think it was too weird to understand but reading it all these years later makes me think it is better than I gave myself credit. I think before I felt guilty that I got the idea from a Neil Gaiman story about a murder in heaven.
The art is sketchy pencil renderings. Stronger in some places than others but overall a good way to save time. I see a lot of my layout skills here. At the time I had no idea that was something I'm ahead of the curve on.

2004 from Dreamland Comics Shaumburg IL
eighteen in 24
First official 24 hour comic. This time staying awake wasn't a problem because I actually slept and I wasn't locked in a room alone for the duration. There is only 18 pages because I ran out of time trying to figure out how to paint a comic in this style and I was fighting the work on the Jesus section (stuff I'd been thinking about doing for a while).
My real critique to myself on the art is that as nice as the painted stuff is I wish I had done more drills in the straight to ink style I see on the "Grim's Game". It might have taught me to spot blacks better. If you haven't figured it out yet I do a lot of "post game analysis."
Also note the previous one was formatted sideways for the web while this one is formatted for print because there were rumors that the best entries would be in an anthology. 

2005 from BuyMeToys.com store in SouthBend IN
envelopes
Second official event. Previous years I didn't complete the challenge in time because I was hung up on doing new ideas. What I did this time was to have my friends write ideas in sealed envelopes. I would draw comics about those things as I needed new inspiration. It was an interesting challenge but I am not particularly happy with any of the comics that it resulted in. I finished with 20 minutes to spare but when I got home I realized I had miscounted and only completed 23 pages. What's really bad is that the alternative rule is to make 100 panels in 24 hours. There are 99 panels in this comic. That's right one panel short.

2006 from Dirk Tiede's pad Chicago IL
Astro-naught
This time I was on a mission. It would be random. It would be 24 pages. It would be within 24 hours. There were three other people there I asked (now Explorers of the Unknown writer) Seth for a place. He gave me Ruined Castle. I asked Dirk ( Paradigm Shift ) Tiede for a who and he gave me astronaut. And I asked Emily (real life LASER SCIENTIST) for a what and she gave me 'anti-werewolf uzi'.
One thing my mind is good at is making scenarios unfold. Person Place Thing trick made it very easy.

2008 from SFCA HQ
Hella Coachella
This one almost doesn't count. I felt bad about not getting in a 24 hour comic day for '07 so the plan was to do one page a day under an hour for 24 days then later in the year participate in one of the 24 hour events in San Francisco (but I didn't last in SF long enough to actually do that). Also for this challenge I decided to use the bamboo quill I had bought back in art school but never used. I'm not only cheap I hate wasting money so I decided to get my money's worth of this thing. I hate it by the way.
Every spring I get a bunch of hits for this comic because people come across it when looking for info on the music festival it features.

No comments:

Post a Comment